Friday, September 25, 2009

The Human Life from Conception to Grave

This blog is titled Glebewise because I want to provide a strong impetus to look at our materiality for signs and significance of things spiritual.

Ben Franklin as a youth steeped in Calvinism and drawn to deism in the Age of Reason started on a journey in which science did not prove adequate to proof of the existence of God to his way of thinking. I believe that Ben Franklin is much like my second daughter, drawn by nature and intrigued by science, and that probably from conception this was so of Ben and my daughter.

I know my daughter as a yearling exhibited the natural curiosity of the "child scientist." She gravitated to plants and then as she grew to the marsh and to lake and to estuary and to the sea. Today she is a marine biologist and environmental scientist and I could not be prouder of her journey and its inexorable march towards embracing the physical world. I believe that for her spirituality is an embrace of the natural world.

In contrast, I know my original impetus in life was toward the mystical world of Christian belief and as an adult am certain that it has been the keynote of my life in which I place myself not at the center of creation but at the foot of God. I think humility is the product of the quest for truth as we grow ever simpler and earthbound with each year.

I also sense that the ebbing tide of reduction into the material world is potentially and ultimately to be matched with a swelling tide of affirmation that is the result of feeling the embrace of God around and about us (regardless of how we as individuals can reach that point).

No comments:

Post a Comment