Monday, January 31, 2011

Part 2. Human Consciousness

Below is the second excerpt fromThe Quest for Completion.

Human Consciousness.

Purchasing an apple requires determination of a price which satisfies the grower and gatherer of that fruit which is brought to me for my consumption. I desire no apple merchant more than another and simply yearn for benefits of the eaten apple. Often we walk away from the interaction with another and realize we do not care for our partner in the interaction. We have learned with whom we would do business. It is the same principle, procurement of necessaries and from whomever provides the desired outcome.

My being is not mere being, but being enhanced by the awareness of my surroundings, consciousness. I have an awareness of my locality. I have to physically move to achieve a different locale. As I go about obtaining food, clothing, and shelter, I exercise powers of locomotion and even acquire such skill or skills as each task I perform can be performed in a manner more productive of an end result. I doubt very much lacking a need and some degree of consciousness of a need that I would develop at all.

Because I am insufficient in myself, to obtain sufficiency I have to act. In having to act, I move beyond myself. In having to move beyond myself, I have an awareness of my incompleteness which incompleteness obtains completeness by interacting with my locality. Where ever I go there I am and for whatever purpose completes me. Complete in myself, I would want for nothing, and having no needs which can be met by interaction with my locality, I might just as well be unconscious.

In one area alone, I am consternated by my quest for completion and that is in how another completes me. I mean this at first sexually in the sense that my mother and father in conjoining brought me about and in participating in that union of bodies there was an attempt at unity of purpose and intent.

I assume each of us seeks completeness in joinder to another. Just as there is sexual joinder, there is spiritual joinder, or common cause whether it be in building a barn or a house or in raising a child to adulthood.

Especially in sexual joinder, there is the subtle relationship potential of doing the right thing by our mate. The potential in our human sexuality is in caring for another (beyond satisfaction of the mere urge to physically or spiritually join one another). I'd say the quest for completeness only goes on even in the most stable lasting unions. Our incompleteness is our condition and no one event or for that matter person can ever complete us, at least not if by person you mean fellow human being.

RJH Saturday, November 22, 2008.
Revised by RJH, Friday, January 02, 2009, Saturday, January 03, 2009, and Tuesday, February 03, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment