Saturday, April 6, 2013

What Jack knows down deep in the well

April is National Poetry Month.  So here is a poem for my readers.  The persona in the poem is the familiar character Jack, though not necessarily he of the beanstalk, but something of that Jack for the trouble he has gotten himself into, and more obviously the persona is Jill's Jack which twins together went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.  However, here the twins are on this particular day separated and not together fetching a pail of water.   Here goes.


The Twin in the Well

So far down in the well am I,
Will parents hear my cry?
For now a circular patch of blue
Is all I see of sky above.

A song bird on the open lid
And the wind vibrating that
Drown out my calling:
“Dad, Mom, I am in the well.”

What’s to become of me?
Why did I lean in so far?
Was it to see bottom
For what I could see, a cloud?

Who only knows the end
Of me can not go well?
I can hold on here.
But cold and wet, how long?

God, I promise I will
Make it all right with Jill.
She can have the rope.
It’s mine to give her.

Just so she brings it
Right down here now.
She knows to ask
Where I’ve gone.

RJH.  Thursday, February 28, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment