Friday, November 1, 2013

A Discourse on Prosperity, Economic Advantage, and Wealth, Part I.

Introduction. My niece who is extremely well educated and trained as a nuclear warrior, recently wrote me on Facebook: "Yep. Sounds Marxist to me. Freedom is capitalism. We are merely transfering wealth from the producers to the government ruling class...it never works...the ecology will collapse and all but the rich will suffer. To (sic) bad for the money lovers but hope is in Jesus. If you can read a book. You are the rich-- what will the get through to you?"

So you need a little more context? Her retort was in reference to my Facebook comment Monday, October 28, 2013. If you read the comment, perhaps her retort will make kinda, sorta sense. The challenge of social snippets on facebook is my forte. I like to stir the pot (which in my opinion is already stirring). It helps dissipate negative energy for some and disturbs others who then continue unabated in the brew which is private/public social media.


A Discourse on Prosperity, Economic Advantage, and Wealth

Part I.


We all probably have a dear niece or nephew who consumes enormous amounts of Tea Bag politics and stirs in a select jaundiced version of Christianity. I consider this particular mixed drink, toxic! I know that capitalism conceptually is no better nor different than the very embodiment of the human ego in advance of its own agenda. What scares me is that my one certain niece confuses the prosperity of persons in the faith with the faith itself. The Christian faith can not serve both God and Mammon, but her “dispositive” explanation for prosperity is that it is a product of human freedom (here think small government without regard for the harsh consequences of unbridled capitalism).

In this Tea Party segmented view with which I take issue, any rule or law that interferes with economic freedom is evil. If my words offend some in the Tea Party cause who do not consider themselves libertarian, I am only directly here in the face of such persons who claim Christ as Lord and Savior and then wash their hands of the burdens of citizenship in a representative democracy, our beloved republic of laws, not men.

On another front her capitalist-Christian rhetoric is a self serving and ego centric congratulatory Christianity. I am not alone in finding it extremely chilling, and I might add, the anti-thesis of the Gospel attributed to Jesus of Nazareth and Paul and other traditionally accepted renderings of the core and essential messages of Christianity embraced by Orthodox, Catholic, Episcopalian, Lutheran, and Protestant denominations.

The work ethic itself is not under attack as I myself believe in the opportunity afforded everyone regardless of race, color, creed, or sexual identity, inherent in a society where hard work, labor, is rewarded by our peers for the goods and services provided us. I do not begrudge even the cut taken by bankers and persons who seek a return on the labor of others, or for that matter the ownership class of persons who expect to limit the benefit to the “workers” as it would shorten them of the profit that adds to their status as wealthy beneficiaries of capitalism. I am here though most certainly regardful of social polity of shared benefits of prosperity and labor and regard for those less able to exploit our market system of capitalism (or in some cases totally unable to do so).

The notion that successful capitalists winners turn philanthropic (i.e. Bill and Melinda Gates, Warren Buffet, the Hunt Brothers) does suggest that greed has its limits among those who realize the human being also is a social animal with a capacity for altruism. This type of fairmindedness is at best humanitarian and potentially restorative justice on the part of those whose ”take” far exceeded just compensation for one’s actual labor. Keep in mind that the humanitarian impulse is not exclusively Christian, as an atheist non-true believer is potentially just as cognizant of the benefits of a prosperity beyond all reasonable bounds of just compensation.

In the Tea Party rugged individualist world, one works hard and succeeds and is even “blessed.” However, even the most ardent Ayn Rand type must acknowledge some benefits that derive not of just merit, but priviligege and fortunate timing, and truth be told some skirting of the laws of society and disregard of normal human kindness and too a regard for the fate of our fellows and economic interests of our fellows (copyright or patent comes to mind).

I for one do not think Jesus was silent on the exploitation of people and how the economically prosperous can be so contemptuous of the “less economically blessed.” Let’s not forget Jesus and his righteous anger at the Jerusalem temple precinct money changers who were permitted and encouraged by the Jewish ruling class of priests to fuel the sale of oxen, lambs, doves, and goats of the devout pilgrim to raise capital in order to purchase the “pure” animals bought with pure money purchased at a compounded loss by the devout. The ruling class of Judea which controlled the temple was on the take just like our modern capitalists! Can the “take” of the temple ever be purified of its exploitation of the devout? If the temple is the bank, something is surely awry!

The commonality then and now is that the fleecing of the little people is the traditional premise of capitalism. In our materialistic society, money is enshrined and the perpetuation of wealthy class of persons consumes the waking hours of lobbyists and politicians on the make.

The fact anyone else ever has a say in the U.S. Congress (or my state capitol in St. Paul, Minnesota) is to me a marker of hopefulness. I could do with some more meaningful say in progressive, respectful governance. It’s why I am a Democrat. If all I worried about was wealth, yah I too would vote Republican. I just choose not to be defined by the acquisition of material wealth. To me the pursuit of wealth is just one of the facets of the pursuit of happiness for all (not just the advantaged). If you believe in spiritual wealth as I do, the spiritually endowed do or should not create a space in which to ignor the economic hardship of others. No, the exact opposite. I foster a representative democracy in which prosperity is chartered by each succeeding generation for all (not just the advantaged).

See Part II which follows this edition of Glebewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment